Welcome to Rapids City Fire Protection District.
The district was established May 11, 1948 to provide fire protection to an area of upper Rock Island county. The district has always been serviced by the Port Byron Fire Department, which until a few years ago was a part of and managed by the village of Port Byron. During that time, the geographically larger fire district hired the village and paid for fire protection services. In January 2009, the village of Port Byron was annexed into the Rapids City Fire Protection District. The Port Byron Fire Department then became an official part of the Rapids City Fire Protection District, with the village relinquishing all financial and managerial control.